The “How to Get Married” Guide for Same-Sex Couples
Effective January 1, 2013 same-sex couples will be allowed to marry in the State of Maryland. So how do they go about doing so? Find our step by step guide below:
1. Prior to obtaining a marriage certificate or making plans for a wedding, consider whether you and your partner will enter into a pre-nuptial agreement. If so, consult with an attorney. Maryland divorce and custody laws may apply if you get divorced, so it is important to know if you have pre-marital or other assets you want/need to protect in the event of divorce.
2. If you have children, consult with an attorney about how your marriage may or may not effect the custody of your child(ren) if you divorce.
3. You need to obtain a marriage license from the Circuit Court in the county in which you plan to get married. Information on the various counties can be found below:
4. You will need to bring identifying information with you to obtain the license and while only one of you will need to be present to obtain the license, you will need the following information for each applicant:
-Name – Age – Birth Date – State or Country of Birth – Current Address – Social Security Number
5. If either you or your partner has been previously divorced or widowed you will need the exact date of death or dissolution and in some counties you may need proof of same. Again, check with the courthouse of the county in which you will be married.
6. You will need to pay to obtain the license. This varies by county so check prior to visiting the courthouse, but it will range between $35.00 to $60.00. Make sure to verify what forms of payment are accepted.
7. You will not be able to get married for 48 hours after you obtain the license and you must get married within 6 months of obtaining the license.
8. You can use the certificate to be married in a civil or religious ceremony of your choosing.
9. Get married!
If you have questions on obtaining a same sex marriage in Maryland consult an experienced Maryland Family Law Attorney.